Spider McDrew gets the chance to play for the Parkfield school football team, in the end-of-season cup draw. As usual though, things are not plain sailing for Spider who lets his side down by giving away a crucial penalty kick. Poor Spider is a pitiful sight as he stands on the touchline all alone. Then, he is asked to take one last corner kick.
• Topaz/ Band 13 books offer longer and more demanding reads for children to investigate and evaluate.
• Text type – A humorous story with a familiar setting.
• A reader response page provides lots of opportunities for speaking and listening and scaffolding writing.
• Curriculum links – ICT: Combining text and graphics; PSHE: Developing good relationships.
• This is the second SpiderMcDrew tale by Alan Durant and Philip Hopman.
• This book has been quizzed for Accelerated Reader.