When a young girl adopts Harry the spider as her new pet, no one is very impressed – not Mum, not Dad, and certainly not her big brother (could it be that he’s afraid of large, hairy spiders?)… But when Mum needs to go to the dentist and no one can find the car keys, Harry saves the day.
• Turquoise/ Band 7 books offer literay language and extended descriptions, with longer sentences and a wide range of unfamiliar terms.
• Text type – A story with a familiar setting.
• The story is followed by a poster on pages 22 and 23 advertising Harry’s skills as a helpful spider, which is a great way to recap and discuss the story with children and gives an opportunity to extend into further work outside the reading session.
• This story is paired with an information book on the same theme: Fly Facts by Janice Marriott.
• This book has been levelled for Reading Recovery.
• This book has been quizzed for Accelerated Reader.